For the avid globetrotter, sustainable travel is the way of the future. As adventurous spirits from all corners of the earth gather to explore new and exciting destinations, new and innovative methods of sustainable travel are beginning to take shape. Our planet’s resources are finite, and it is upon us to take steps to ensure that our recreation does not have a lasting negative impact on the environments we explore. Read on to discover some of the most influential sustainable travel trends from around the world – all redefining and reimagining eco-friendly adventures.
1. Exploring Sustainable Travel Trends: Reimagining Eco-Friendly Adventures
These days, eco-friendly travel is no longer a trend—it’s a lifestyle! It’s with great excitement, then, that today’s travelers can explore the multitude of ways to embark on an adventure that balances the concepts of sustainability and exploration.
The ever-growing awareness of global-scale environmental issues, coupled with an urge for adventure, has created a compelling need for sustainable travel. Here are just a few ways to throw yourself into eco-friendly adventures.
- Opt for local: Instead of jetting off to the same popular travel destination, consider giving the local scene a go! Visiting nearby towns or cities offers its own unique perspectives and experiences—you may even find yourself in an area you didn’t know existed.
- Choose sustainable modes of transportation: If your travel plan requires that you leave your town, consider taking an airplane or train instead of a car. These forms of transportation have less of a carbon footprint and are more eco-friendly.
- Bike or hike: There’s no better way to explore a new destination than on two wheels (or two feet). Not only is biking and/or hiking carbon-free, it’s also a great way to immerse yourself in nature and learn the area you’re visiting.
If backpacking is your thing, consider staying in a local guesthouse rather than a luxurious hotel. It could be a great opportunity to connect with the locals and really get to know the culture you’re exploring.
Finally, don’t forget that eco-friendly travel can take many forms: from simple day trips to completely off-the-grid expeditions. Be sure to do your research and find the mode of sustainable travel that fits your unique adventure!
2. Embracing Eco-Friendly Experiences On The Rise
Thanks to increased education about the effects of global warming and lifestyle choices that can help reduce its progressive damage, the eco-friendly movement is on the rise. Sustainable vacationers are now looking for an experience that is steeped in environmental and cultural health. Here are a few ways that travelers can embrace eco-friendly experiences while visiting:
- Purchase local products: Food, clothing, and souvenirs are a huge part of souvenir shopping, but buying from local companies and artisans makes an impact on the economy and environment in a big way. Plus, you can usually find one-of-a-kind items that will help make your vacation more authentic and meaningful.
- Choose eco-friendly accommodations: Hotels are quickly finding ways to reduce their energy consumption, use upcycled furnishes, or donate to local charities. Doing a bit of research to find eco-friendly hotels and resorts can make a big difference.
- Learn the language: If you’re looking to truly immerse yourself in a new culture, learning basic phrases in the local language is essential. This helps you gain insight into the culture and encourages respect of the local customs. You may even make some long-lasting connections.
- Hire a local guide: Work with a local tour guide who practices sustainable tourism wherever you go. Not only do they know the area like the back of their hand, but they can also help you to find the best local shops and eateries to visit.
The advantages of eco-friendly tourism include lowering your impact on the environment and having a beneficial impact on the local communities and economies. So, before you go on your next adventure, consider brushing up on eco-friendly practices to ensure that your travels are as enjoyable and sustainable as possible.
If you want to do as much good as you can during your next vacation, look into eco-friendly activities that you can participate in. This could be anything from volunteering with the local community to crossing their national parks off your bucket list; the sky’s the limit!
3. Crafting The Perfect Sustainable Getaway
Setting the Goals
Getting away for a holiday or weekend is a great way to relax and hit the reset button. But why not have your getaway be as sustainable as possible? Start by looking at the bigger picture to identify your green goals. Maybe your focus is on carbon-offsetting or it’s on the types of materials you want to be using while away. Or perhaps both! Make it a mission to identify what the smaller nuances are that will help you achieve your goals, and then create a framework from which you can build around.
Be Mindful of Transport
As transportation is one of the top polluters, it’s worth taking the time to consider what methods of travel you’ll be using. Whether that’s public transport or electric-powered vehicles, planning your journey to your destination so that it ensures a minimal carbon footprint will help to make your vacation as eco-friendly as can be.
To make your trip as sustainable as possible, look out for options that promote low or zero-waste practices. From hotels that provide refillable options to avoid single-use bottles, to campsites that offer solar power for charging your gadgets, being mindful of the type of accommodation you choose is an obvious step to take when wanting to travel green.
Once you’re at your destination and have a clearer idea of the type of experiences you’d love to join in with, take the time to research the options which best match the goals you set. Everything from foraging and forest bathing to biking and stand-up paddling can bring about fascinating, unique experiences that are green-minded.
Support the Local Community
In addition to being kind to the planet, being aware of how your actions can make a positive impact on those around you is also an important part of travelling sustainably. From choosing local places to eat, to joining forces with organisations that create and optimise sustainability within the local community, your getaway can help support those in need and those living closest to you.
4. Reinvigorating Adventures: Where To Go Next
If you’re an avid adventurer, it’s easy to think of all the wonderful places you’ve been in the past and the memorable experiences you’ve had. But how often do you take the time to think of new, exciting destinations to explore? Here are a couple ideas to help you reinvigorate your thirst for new adventures:
- Wild U.S. National Parks: Whether you’re venturing across the country or a few states away, national parks are great settings for adventures. From hiking trails to the Grand Canyon to kayaking around Yellowstone, there’s plenty of exciting activities to choose from. The beauty and diversity of our nation’s natural wonders make for unforgettable experiences.
- World Heritage Sites: There are over 1,000 World Heritage Sites scattered around the globe, and each one is more breathtaking than the next. Explore some of the oldest archaeological sites in Greece, the Great Wall of China, and the incredible wildlife in Africa. Adventurers have the unique opportunity to study the culture and traditions that have stood the test of time.
- Culinary Exploration: Venture to a foreign country and experience its cuisine. Sample exotic spices, street food, and drinks. Try regional dishes that are normally not available in the U.S. Food is the best way to truly get to know a place and its people, so don’t be afraid to let your tastes guide you to discovering your next adventure.
- Urban Exploration: Explore the hustle and bustle of urban life. Discover great cities like New York, Paris, London, or Tokyo. There’s something special about taking part in the energy of a big city and finding out what it has to offer. Navigate through museums, galleries, local hotspots, and hidden gems that only an urban explorer can find.
So whether you’re looking to venture far or close to home, there’s no shortage of exciting opportunities for reinvigorating your adventures. Just remember to bring your sense of adventure and open mind, wherever you may go.
Ready to embark on a sustainable journey? As the sustainable travel industry continues to grow, there’s no better time than now to explore the world and its wonders. The emerging options for traveler are allowing us to redefine our eco-friendly adventures and open our eyes to the beauty of the planet. Join the sustainability movement and discover a new eco-friendly way to travel and have an unforgettable adventure!